Tuesday 22 February 2011

Chocolate truffles with brandy

It doesn't get any better than this...whatever time of day ! I made chocolate truffles and couldn't help but lick the spoon, the bowl, the pan, the table.....
I was asked to make at least 38 truffles for the afternoon coffees and so at the mention of chocolate I sprung into action and dived for my iphone, searching 'truffles' to find the sweet goddess, Delia and her home-made truffle recipe. With a few tweaks due to my pantry stock i came up with these yummy morsels. I will come clean and say that I did find it a massive challenge, not that it was 4am when i was making these, but more the fact that once cooled these babies were not playing ball. I mean I tried to roll them in my hands but they turned to schmuck within milliseconds. Quick thinking, a change of design - square is classier than round right? I scored them into squares without touching them with my inherently warm hands - Im finding pastry tricky too!


Square Chocolate Truffles
150g dark chocolate (75% cocoa)
150ml double cream
25g unsalted butter
2 tbsp brandy
1 tbsp creme fraiche (or greek yoghurt)
1 tbsp cocoa powder to dust (only if you can master balls!)
1. Grind chocolate in your whizzy food mixer until granular (like sugar)
2. Place cream, butter and brandy in a saucepan and bring to simmering point.
3. With the motor on your mixer, pour the milk mixture through the funnel into your granular chocolate below and watch it blend into a smooth, shiny mixture.
4. Add creme fraiche or your yoghurt and blend for a further few seconds more.
5. Transfer your chocolate liquid mix to a pre lined tray and allow to cool before placing in the refrigerator overnight.
6. Score with a sharp knife into squares and then finish by melting some white chocolate and piping over the top. Voila!





No comments:

Post a Comment